History of the East Coast
Virginia Places -- "Chesapeake Bay Geology"
The Chesapeake Bay is the largest estuary in the United States. Its history is fairly recent -- it has only existed in present form for 10,000 years.
- Barra Foundation - Philadelphia: A 300-Year History
- John DeFerrari - Lost Washington D.C.
- David Healey - 1812: Rediscovering Chesapeake Bay's Forgotten War
- Thomas J. Misa - A Nation of Steel: The Making of Modern America, 1865-1925
- Selwyn Raab - Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires
Timeline of the East Coast
- c.10000 B.C. - First people arrive on what is now the East Coast of the United States.
- c.1450-1600 - The Iroquois Confederation is formed, uniting 5 tribes near Lake Erie and Lake Huron.
- 1626 - Manhattan Island purchased from Lenape tribe. New Amsterdam (now New York) had been founded a year earlier.
- 1735 - The trial of John Peter Zenger in New York establishes important precedents for free speech and press.
- 1776 - The Declaration of Independence is signed on July 4th and sent to King George.
- 1776 - The Battles of Trenton and Princeton are fought and won in a surprise attack by George Washington's troops.
- 1787 - The Constitutional Convention is held in Philadelphia, resulting in the current United States Constitution.
- 1792 - Twenty-four stock brokers sign the Buttonwood Agreement, creating what is now known as the New York Stock Exchange.
- 1807 - The first steamboat line is opened between New York City and Albany.
- 1825 - The Erie Canal cements New York state's position as a central commercial power.
- 1863 - The New York Draft Riots are the largest civil disturbance in United States history.
- 1870 - Atlantic City, New Jersey opens its boardwalk for the first time, in an effort to establish its credentials as a resort town.
- 1875-1880 - Large scale steel production begins in Pittsburgh. The area becomes a center of American industry over the proceeding decades.
- 1911 - Triangle Shirtwaist Fire kills 146 female workers, mainly Jewish and Italian immigrants.
- 2001 - Terrorist attacks topple the World Trade Center on September 11.